» The Three E’s of Workplace Charging: Why Workplace Charging is a Win-Win-Win
The Three E’s of Workplace Charging: Why Workplace Charging is a Win-Win-Win
December 7, 2015
Source: UN Climate Change Conference
As many of the world’s leaders convene at COP21 to discuss what can be done to combat the negative effects of climate change, it’s easy to forget that there are many ways in which we can make a big impact locally. While we are optimistic that positive change will come from the conference, there are many small non-regulatory actions that can make a big difference. One of the easiest ways to displace petroleum usage and greenhouse gas emissions is by switching to a more efficient alternative fuel vehicle, and encouraging your employees to do the same.
While initial options for plug-in electric and hybrid vehicles were relatively limited and caused range anxiety, today’s market has become increasingly varied and technology has vastly improved, allowing adoption over a much wider audience. Even with improved technology, though, many users worry about getting to and from work every day (let alone making any additional trips for errands or otherwise) on a single charge.
Installing electric vehicle charging stations at work is a quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive way to elevate your employee benefit offerings, your employer reputation and do your part to preserve the environment. Read on to discover the benefits of installing electric vehicle charging stations and how doing so creates a win-win-win.
- Employees can double their driving range with access to charging at both
home and work, alleviating range anxiety and encouraging the use of PEVs and PHEVs over traditional gasoline-fueled vehicles.
- Employees can make the most of their commute, completing errands before or after work thanks to their increased battery life and extended battery range.
- Workplace charging can even help employees be more comfortable while driving! This is because drivers are able to bring their car to a comfortable internal temperature by heating or cooling the cabin while it is plugged in at work (instead of doing so while driving which drains battery and decreases potential driving range).
- Installing electric vehicle charging stations at your business shows a sense of progressive and cutting-edge thinking.
- Considering your employee’s current and future needs and responding accordingly by installing EV stations shows your interest in keeping employees happy and remaining competitive with other employers in terms of benefits. This will allow you to attract and retain top employees now and in the future.
- Allowing employees to charge their electric vehicles while at work can also significantly contribute to your “portfolio of sustainability practices” and show that your company is environmentally conscious and socially responsible.
- You may also be able to count greenhouse gas emissions reduced through the use of PEVs charged at work towards your sustainability goals.
- In some states, employees may even benefit from greater satisfaction from shortened commute times if they qualify for HOV lanes, which contributes to greater team morale.
- Additionally, having E.V. charging stations on your property allows your company to convert its vehicles to electric which can significantly reduce overall fleet costs.
- Lastly, if you are a building owner, charging stations are a great indicator to current and potential tenants that you are environmentally responsible and “interested in providing smart, proactive solutions for both the present and future needs of your tenants”
- Allowing employees to drive their PEVs or PHEVs to work without range anxiety promotes and supports their use, which reduces gasoline dependency and improves air quality in your community.
- Electric vehicles are almost four times as efficient as traditional vehicles and reduce overall energy consumption
- The ability for employees to charge their vehicles at work may also increase adoption of PEVs and PHEVs among employees as they see their colleagues driving and benefitting from their use as your “workplace can serve as a second showroom”
For more information on installing an electric vehicle charging station at your business, please contact Heather Croteau at email@example.com.
“The goal of the Workplace Charging Challenge is to increase the number of American employers offering workplace charging by tenfold in the next five years.
For more information on the Workplace Charging Challenge, please click here.